Tuesday 5 November 2013

A Winning Formula

I have no problem letting everyone know I’m a huge Bob Gass fan. (He pens the UCB – United Christian Broadcasters daily devotional: ‘Word For Today’.) I’ve been a devotional devotee for a long time. I read his soul-profitable words every morning. It starts my day like a sunrise. The truths he shares have a positive effect on me. I'm continually inspired by what I learn. And when I apply what I learn, it leads to personal and professional growth, plain and simple. In my life, this  is a winning formula. It encourages me to be more of who I’m called to be.

Well, in late September I sat down to read Bob's: ‘Keep Growing’ series. And three meaningful messages later, I felt like I was given some bone-meal fertilizer. I also felt compelled to give him an official Debby Barnes Voice-Over Rah-Rah! 
You see, I consider every year of my life a growing season. Figuratively speaking, I’m always eager to ‘bloom where I’m planted’, so I can never get enough of the garden mulch that will improve me and my 'garden'. Bob Gass is one of those gracious ‘gardeners’ who freely offers rich 'mulch'!
The first truth Bob starts with is: “When you finish growing, you’re finished.” Too true. He also mentions what Robert Browning wrote, ‘Why stay on earth except to grow?’ Indeed. He continues into his second message by reminding us that we should, ‘Never stop learning.’ and ‘Never stop developing our talents.’ This really speaks to me as a growing Voice-Over Talent. In relation to developing our skills, he brings up a famous quote from one of the world’s best violinists. When asked as an old man why he still practiced six to eight hours every day, the violinist replied, ‘Because I think I’m getting better.’ Love it.
At the end of the day, practice makes perfect. Applying what we learn yields favourable results. So, my math will continue to look like this: Learning + Applying = Growing. And though it involves being stretched, challenged and a bit uncomfortable at times, this will ultimately produce the kind of results we need to see in order to accomplish the kind of things we need to do.

And lastly, Bob says...'Don't just grow in knowledge, grow in character.’ and ‘Always stay fresh.’ Rah-Rah! to that, brother. And ever let it be.
Read more here through the UCB site.

Note: Scroll to the bottom of the page for: Previous Word For Today.
Click: (Full Archive) - September 27, 28, 29
 




 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment