Tuesday 3 December 2013

What if?

Boy, could I identify with Frank James Bailey’s blog: ‘Calling In Sick?’ He ticks all the boxes I normally tick when I feel rough and my voice is compromised by a seasonal flu or a throat infection. Yuk. I was so sorry to hear he was ill at the time, but I was really pleased he set about writing his post, in spite of feeling under the weather. For that alone, he gets an encouraging Debby Barnes Voice-Over Rah-Rah!, (Be well and stay well, FJB.) and another one for the guts of his message.


I was immediately drawn to his positive attitude and the five ideas he puts into practice during times like these. (I can honestly say I’ve acted-on every one of them myself, so we’re obviously using the same coping techniques.) I stand in agreement with how he responds to potential clients’ job invitations when he’s unwell. He wisely offers his clients two options; both of which I felt were kind, professional and generous. Bravo, brother.

Like Frank, I try to do whatever’s necessary to keep my head in the work even when my voice can’t be. But I confess, sometimes I get easily frustrated and overwhelmed when I'm hit with the odd flu or bout of laryngitis. I start feeling a bit rattled, especially when my imaginary ‘what-ifs’ creep-in. These are what I call my 'VO valley times'. These happen when my dark, mysterious and scary 'what-ifs' try to get the best of me. They also make me feel like I’m going to be walking (…or crawling) through the VO valley with them forever.

Hey, at the end of the day, anything that threatens our ability to be the best we can be needs to be dealt with, right? So we can at least try and summon the strength to keep on keeping on by doubling our efforts on other VO fronts (…like the ones Frank highlights.) His points are simple, clear and helpful. And he notes: “I’m sure there are a dozen more things you can do if you can’t voice anything. My point is, stay busy!” Rah-Rah! Frank.

We can stay busy getting well, and busy getting better at what we do well!

Read it here:
http://www.frankjamesbailey.com/apps/blog/show/34392381-calling-in-sick-


Comment & Share below!  And stop, look and listen at:   www.debbybarnes.com

 
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment